FASSI(Food Safety and Standard Authority of India) issues a few guidelines for washing fruits and vegetables
Here are some dos and don’ts
With the COVID-19 global pandemic, the public became more alert and especially about the food they consume and the way they consume it.
It is essential to ensure clean the food items very neatly before you consume
- Fruits and vegetables are not right to use after you buy them.
- Fruits and vegetables should be washed properly to avoid germs, especially with the threat of viral disease appear over our heads.
- Follow these tips to make sure that you are washing your fruits and vegetables right away.
- Fruits and vegetables are not fit for consumption immediately after they have been bought from the market. This is a fact from the past even before the pandemic hit on us.
Now COVID-19, food safety measures have become a more necessary issue of our everyday lifestyle.
Below are some reasons for cleaning your fruits and vegetables properly:
- Maintaining personal and social hygiene can help to improve health externally, taking up food safety measures before consuming can help to improve health internally.
- Bacteria will be mostly in moist places and markets are moist in general.
- You can never be sure of cleanliness conditions of fruits and vegetables were stored because they were being traveled from one place to another place.
- Due to COVID-19, you cannot be careless as you cannot know whether or not people working at the supermarkets are free of germs.
The food regulatory body of India, Food Safety and Standards Authority of India(FASSI) issued a list of guidelines to help people with rules to follow while cleaning their fruits and vegetables
Here are the few things keep in mind while cleaning your fruits and vegetables:
- Keep far away fruits and vegetables after you bring it from the supermarket. Do not store in the refrigerator as it can contaminate other items in case if they contain any kind of germs.
- Wash all your fruits and vegetables cleanly with water.you can also put it in water for a few minutes with a 50ppm drop of chlorine.
- Use drinking water to clean your fruits and vegetables
- Do not use soaps, disinfectants on the fruits and vegetables.
- Store the fruits and vegetables at the proper place after cleaning them.
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India(FASSI) also issued some guidelines to make food shopping for the public safer.
- Keep your shoes outside your house after returning from the market so that harmful germs cannot enter in your house.
- Do not touch anything in the house right away after entering the house.
- First, you must wash your hands for at least 20 seconds after you get a return to the house.
- Keep the separate bin for keeping clothes that have been outside the house.
- Make sure to clean the food package that you bought from the market by cleaning it with soap or alcohol-based solution and water
- After cleaning the package and food items, make sure to clean the sink and the floor and area near to it.